Just a Closer Walk with Thee

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.

I was baptized about 15 years ago. I remember that when I wrote my testimony for my baptism, I quoted the words of this old hymn. I was young and my faith was simple. My simple desire was a closer walk with my Lord each day. 

During the Maundy Thursday service this evening, we remembered how our Lord Jesus was betrayed by one close to him, and how He chose to love despite the betrayal. Pastor spoke about how we must guard our heart from turning away and betraying our Lord. This could only be done with a close relationship with God. I was challenged to continue to seek this closeness with the One who gave His life for mine and suffered in my place because of love.  And I was reminded about this old hymn that I hadn't heard in years. 

15 years on, my prayer is the same. Just a closer walk with Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment