Day 53: Thrift Shopping in Singapore

I picked a bright and cheery dress on Thursday as I was feeling bright and cheery. It was going to be my last day at work before I head off to my holiday in Ho Chi Minh! So excited! It was also the day that some of my colleagues and I were going thrift shopping. Half priced at at our favourite thrift shop- New2U Thrift shop). Housed in the Singapore Council of Women's Organisations (SCWO) along Waterloo street, we are told all proceeds from purchases go to support the Star Shelter and the SCWO's various initiatives. Half-priced days are the last 2 weekdays of every month and that's when there are bargain galore. The shop itself is quite a small place, and it gets crowded especially on half priced days, but if you come ready to rummage through racks of clothes there are lots of treasures to be found. There's only 1 fitting room, so don't expect to be able to use it unless you are willing to queue. There's one mirror outside that most people jostle to use in order to check if clothes can fit.
Printed dress from Bangkok
Green pumps from Scholl (I'm an aunty at heart)
Pink leather wallet fr Beijing
This time, I went away with an unexpected buy: a silk batik baju kurung for just $3. The chances of me wearing a baju kurung are slim, but the long batik skirt was so elegant and regal and it fit me perfectly. I just had to get it. I'll probably transform the top into a dress or tunic when I have the time. It's quite a waste though, as the stitching on this outfit is exquisite. I'll show it to you guys when I get around to wearing it.
Racks of clothes of every colour
I've been to other thrift shops around Singapore like the Salvation Army stores but the New2U store wins in terms of price, quality of clothes and friendly volunteers that run the place.

To give you a better sense, I've managed to find other awesome stuff in my previous trips like:
A silk dress from Mango for $4
A long sleeved shirt from CYC for $4
An 80s black velvet gown for $20 which I haven't had a occasion to wear yet
A batik halter top for $2
Lots of pretty dresses for under $5

No comments:

Post a Comment