Happy Birthday Singapore

The 9th of August. A day when Singapore is awash with red and white. The day when loyalty to the nation and patriotism is at its peak. A day when the everyday man looks forward to the most spectacular fireworks display of the year. 

This year, Mr Kwek and I were fortunate enough to score tickets to the NDP preview show the week before National Day. What a treat it was. With thousands of others at the floating platform, waving our national flag enthusiastically, we sang the old national day songs that we grew up singing, watched the deafening fly past, and stood in awe as the night sky exploded with a brilliant fireworks display. The experience was made even more incredible with the beautiful Singapore city skyline as the backdrop transforming magically from day to night. My heart swells with pride and joy. And I recognize that there is so much to be thankful for in our tiny country.

In recent years, my frequent travels have made me appreciate our little city state even more. Having seen incredible beauty, experienced exceptional efficiency, and felt exuberant vibrancy in other corners of the world, there is still no other place that has that perfect mix and holds my heart like Singapore does. And this year, as we celebrate national day, the words of the ever popular song resonates in my heart, "this is home, truly, where I know I must be."


No comments:

Post a Comment