Freecycling

In my last post, I wrote about how I was learning to give, in the context of contributing financially to a worthy cause.
In the last few days, I've been doing some giving in a slightly different manner- giving my stuff away.
Not surprisingly, the struggle of wanting to keep everything for myself reared its ugly head again. And this was stuff I have never used/ hardly used/ unlikely to use again. But I'm taking baby steps.
Anyway, if you have never heard of Freecycle, you should. The idea is to recycle stuff by giving them away instead of throwing them away. In Singapore, it's a brilliant Facebook page where people upload pics of stuff they are willing to give away and people who need them respond. It's a vibrant community where a wide variety of things have changed hands and been saved from the fate of being dumped in the landfill.
In packing for the big move, I realised how much stuff I have accumulated. My clothes alone filled up 1 whole car! And there was a whole bunch of random stuff that others could put to much better use than I had. So I joined the Sgfreecycle fb page and started giving. It is quite a hassle to arrange meet ups, reply to messages, and even queue up at the post office to get my stuff weighed and buy the stamps, but I feel it is all worth it when I think of the wastage saved and the happy people who will put my neglected stuff to good use. Like this girl who got a brand new collection of coasters.
Here are pics of some of the other stuff I have given away. And there's more to come!


I've been so greatly blessed. Now it's time to bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment